23 May 2013

New BYOB 2.0 Pattern

BYOB - Bring Your Own Bag by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
We are all too aware of the need to "reduce, re‐use and recycle", especially when it comes to plastic bags, yet millions of them are still used every year. However, we knitters have solutions! Using the skills of our hands we can make bags that are not only functional but decorative and long‐lasting too.

So I wanted to let you know that I have just uploaded a new version of my BYOB – Bring Your Own Bag pattern onto my website.
BYOB - Bring Your Own Bag by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
This is the BYOB 2.0 and the pattern now includes instructions for four different sizes of bags, including a new Junior size – after all you can never be too young to start saving the planet!

There is a Large size for all the big, bulky items and I find these great for items such as cereal packets or packs of kitchen rolls. Then the Medium size is about the same as a standard supermarket shopping bag, so is great as an everyday bag.

The Small size is also a very useful size, and I like using this one for bread or fragile items such as bananas that need to be separated from other items.

Then the final size is the XS size and this is perfect for junior shoppers, or could also be used for smaller items such as mushrooms or a box of eggs. I also sometimes use these to protect jam jars or bottles of olive oil when they are packed into larger bags. They do help to stop that annoying “clinking” of bottles as you’re driving home!
BYOB - Bring Your Own Bag by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
The bags have a good-sized base that is easy to load at the check‐out, and the lower Seed Stitch section ensures that small items will not drop out. Then the central area features an openwork design which is strong but also flexible enough to accommodate bulky, awkwardly shaped items.

The upper handle is knit in Seed Stitch and has a separately worked hand‐grip. This is soft to hold and has extra reinforcing stitches at the sides for strength.

​The pattern can be purchased from my pattern store here and is available for immediate download.

I also have news of another bag pattern that I have just uploaded to my site. This is the BYOB Market Bag and in my next blogpost, I will be starting a tutorial series which will go step-by-step through the working for this new bag, starting with pre-washing the yarns! Yes, that is the first step I always take, and I will show you why next time…

So until then – Happy Bag Knitting,

Moira 
Keywords: Patterns/Bags,
bag, bags, BYOB, Bring Your Own Bag, cotton, knitted bag, shopping bag, blue, turquoise, pink, white,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...