28 Dec 2013

The Lamberhurst Scarf


I love this time of year. The almost-chaotic build up to the holiday season has passed and a quiet contentment has set in. Good food, good company and lots of plans for the year ahead.

Many people feel a bit gloomy at the thought of the long, dark winter evenings ahead, but for us knitters this is not an issue. If it's cold outside, you can curl up in front of a warming fire and either complete work on some items that have been languishing for a while in the "To Do" basket or start a brand new project.

Well, here's a new scarf pattern that might be a good choice for that fire-side knitting session - the Lamberhurst Scarf. I designed this as a man's scarf, but with a different choice of yarn or colour it could just as easily work for ladies too. The examples shown here are worked in a crisp merino/cashmere yarn from New Zealand, Zealana "Willow DK".


The pattern is easy to memorise and only takes 4 balls of yarn, so is quick to work. I started knitting this on my birthday earlier this month. It wasn't a "special" birthday, nothing with a '0' or a '5' at the end, but each one counts doesn't it?

However, I got to musing on previous birthdays and I recalled one unusually warm December day walking in Lamberhurst in Kent. We had togged ourselves up with mittens and scarves, but on that day they weren't needed. I expect had we been walking there today it might have been a different story, as it's very chilly right now.


The scarf worked up quickly and I had a lot of yarn left over so I made a second one, and I have included instructions for both scarves in the pattern.

The first is for a draped scarf which will fall to jacket length and have enough width to cross over at the chest for extra warmth when required. The second is a little slimmer and longer for some artistic wrapping. See this earlier blogpost for lots of ideas on that subject.

As I worked on knitting the scarf, I began to notice similarities between the dynamic zig-zag patterns in the scarf and twill weaving designs. I love twill patterns - they always seem magical in the way they move from side to side as the woven fabric starts to form.


It also reminded me of some wonderful rock formations you can see when you are driving. The photo above shows a mountain range in the Canadian rockies where layers of rock have been squeezed and tilted into fan-like shapes. I love examples like this, of a design which feels so dynamic and modern yet which has echoes of something timeless.


For more details about the Lamberhurst Scarf knitting pattern, please click here. The pattern is available in both UK and US formats and can be downloaded instantly from the website.

Happy Knitting!

Moira


Last blogpost: At the end of a row






. 17/5/17

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...