25 Sep 2015

New pattern - Joules and Joulietta Hot Water Bottle Covers


It's fun being married to a Scientist. Sharp as a tack, quick-witted and slightly random, you're never quite sure what they are going to say next. So when I asked my DH for a suggestion for a hot water bottle cover name, he immediately said "Joules!" That made me chuckle and it seemed such a great name to choose.

It's many years since I studied any physics but I still remember the confusion when at first everything was in British Thermal Units, the next year it was Calories, and then the next it was Joules. I am not sure if I ever really knew what they were but the name always made me laugh even then. 

So here is the latest pattern in the Knitting Ahead series, the Joules and Joulietta hot water bottle covers! The Joules cover fits a regular-sized hot water bottle, which is usually about 2 litre/2 quart capacity. Mine measures 35 cm/14 ins high x 20 cm/8 ins wide, which I think is a fairly standard size.



The smaller cover, Joulietta, is great for a travelling size or for a child's bottle. My mini-bottle is 25 cm/10 ins high x 15 cm/6 ins wide, and takes about 1 litre/1 quart of water. I like to use a small bottle to ease aching joints or muscles after a day gardening or when we have been on a long car journey.


Both sizes are sure to keep you warm and to make your bed super-cosy. The pattern features a beautifully textural stitch, Barley Corn. This is an easy stitch to work so the bottle covers knit up quickly. Both are also worked seamlessly, so there is little finishing required after the knitting is completed.

I used Knit Picks "Wool of the Andes" worsted-weight yarn for this project. I love this yarn because it is warm and shows great stitch definition. It is also available in a huge range of colours - I believe there's about 100 shades to choose from at the current time! I used their "Calypso Heather" for the Joules cover, and a rather fine "Pumpkin" for the Joulietta size.

Click here to see my blogpost extolling the virtues of hot water bottles, and here for some timely tips on how to fill and use them.

For more details about the Joules and Joulietta pattern, please see my pattern store. The pattern can be downloaded directly from the pattern page and is available in both UK and US formats. 

Enjoy your new cosy bed-time!


Happy Knitting!


Moira




Website: www.wyndlestrawdesigns.com




. 17/5/17

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...