08 October 2016

Let's (half) twist again

Reversible Knitting Stitches by Moira Ravenscroft & Anna Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
I love the architecture of rib stitches – the way they catch the light and the subtleties of shading in the patterning. It is an added bonus that most of them are reversible, too.

Rib fabrics have such a fluidity to them, bending and stretching and then (usually!) returning to their resting state afterwards. They are just naturally elastic and are perfect for warm autumnal wear as they gently hug the torso and trap the air inside.

The photo above shows the rib for the sweater that I am working on right now, also pictured in last week's blogpost. This is a sweater I am making for my husband and is worked in a wonderfully soft wool & alpaca mix yarn.  
Reversible Knitting Stitches by Moira Ravenscroft & Anna Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
​If you look more closely at the rib in the top photo, though, you’ll see that I am not doing a standard K1, P1 rib. Instead the rib has a really neat appearance since each of the stitches has been twisted, or at least the ones showing to the front have been!

This is Half‐Twisted Rib, taken from our Reversible Knitting Stitches book, and it has been one of my favourite stitches ever since I "invented" it when I was about 13! Well you do invent things at that age, don't you... I had been working a sweater with twisted stitches on both sides and then realised that I preferred it if I only twisted the stitches on the right side. It was, for a start, much easier to knit and also gave a very neat well‐spaced rib on the front.

The back, meanwhile, had a slightly flattened version of plain rib which made it very comfortable to wear next to the body. Of course, later on I found that this was a well-known pattern, but it still remains a go‐to stitch of mine, especially for menswear.

We have included many different rib stitches in our new Reversible Knitting Stitches book, so if you would like to read more about this, then please click here.

Well, it's turning cooler so I am going to curl up in front of the fire and knit some more of this sweater.

Until next time – Happy Knitting!

Moira
Keywords: Book/Reversible Knitting Stitches,
rib, ribbing, twisted rib, Half-Twisted Rib, reversible rib, reversible stitch, knitting stitch, 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...