07 April 2013

Introducing the Southampton Collection

Southampton Collection – Five fabric-lined bags by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
I was wandering around my local craft store a short while ago when my eye was caught by a set of linen tote bags. These were just plain and simple bags but looked to be a very useful size – not too big and not too small either. I could see them being used to carry books home from the library or for a trip to the mall or supermarket.

I thought about it for a moment and then realised that they would also make excellent liners for knitted bags. That would give them the strength of a linen bag but still with the beauty of a knitted bag – in other words, the best of both worlds!

Before I knew it, my shopping basket had filled not only with the tote liners but also with enough yarns and dyes to complete a whole set of bags.

​I went home and set to work to make a lovely shopping bag in a bright zingy turquoise with the lining dyed to suit. It came so well, so I then made another one in a striped cream and green pattern. For the next two, I added long handles so they could be carried over your shoulder, and for the last one I sewed a fabric liner instead for a lovely summery bag.

I have just uploaded all the separate patterns into my pattern store here and you can either buy them individually or as a whole set, the Southampton Collection.
Back-to-Nature Bag by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
So here's the first bag in the collection, the Back-to-Nature Bag. The colourway for this bag was inspired by the idea of a "Return to nature", the cream colour at the top gradually giving way to the gentle green of a misty spring morning at the base.

The exterior is worked in a crisp cotton yarn and features a neat stitch that almost looks crocheted. This is Embossed Check Stitch taken from our book, Reversible Knitting StitchesThe interlocking ribs of this stitch give it a lot of character and resilience.

Inside, this sturdy little bag has enough capacity to carry home bottles of milk or heavy cartons of juice, or be used to transport all the heavier vegetables home from the Farmer's market. And all this with minimal sewing to complete the item!
Back-to-Nature Bag by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
The stitch pattern forms into very neat horizontal bands with beautifully sharp colour transitions. I have worked it in cream and green, but it would also look great in nautical shades of navy blue and crisp white for a summer holiday hold-all.

Each band only takes a few grams of yarn too, so you could use up all your left-over balls of cotton yarn for a real stash-busting rainbow colourway!

If you would like to read more information about the Back-to-Nature Bag, then please click here. The pattern is available for instant download from my site. I’ll be back next time with some photos of the next bag in this collection, the  Sarasota Shopper.

Until then – Happy Bag Knitting!

Moira 
Keywords: Patterns/Bags,
bag, bags, fabric-lined bag, knitted bag, tote bag, shopping bag, texture, 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...