01 September 2016

A hint of what's to come

Samples for Reversible Knitting Stitches book by Moira Ravenscroft & Anna Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
Some years ago, I was convalescing in bed after a series of operations. Of course, being a knitter, I didn't see that having to be immobile meant I couldn't knit, or at least peruse magazines looking for knitting patterns and ideas.

So I started re‐reading old magazine clippings I had been hoarding for ages. I went through looking for interesting stitch patterns and glueing them onto pages to put in a box file. By the time I was done, I had three files full of stitch patterns, notes and patterns.

This was before there were stacks of knitting magazines in every newsagents and a shelf‐full of knitting books in the local library. In fact, I didn't own a single knitting book, so a file full of stitches was a tremendous resource.

I started experimenting and making up some new stitches and adding extra ones I came across, and that's when I noticed something: I loved the ones that were reversible.
Beckenham Scarf by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs – Chunky version
Reversible stitches just drew me – the way they look great from both sides, their drape, their usefulness.

Of course there are thousands of knitting stitches, and most of these look good from the right side. But when the wind blows your shawl and you see the other face then it can often be quite disappointing. Your beautiful design is hidden and you see a series of bumps instead. I suppose it has the name "wrong side" for a reason!

A scarf made from a reversible stitch, however, can be draped around your neck in a playful fashion without any regard to which side is on view, since both sides look good. Sometimes both faces are identical, and sometimes they have a differing character on one side than the other, but both sides have an attractive appearance.

The scarf above, for example, is the Beckenham Scarf, a man's scarf featuring a wonderfully textural reversible stitch, Seeded Chevron.

So I started to gather the samples that were especially lovely on both sides. At first I had just a few swatches ... then a few more ...
Samples for Reversible Knitting Stitches book by Moira Ravenscroft & Anna Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
Then my daughter Anna, herself a lifelong knitter, joined in and before we knew it we had a table‐full! We stood looking at the growing pile for a while, then Anna said "We should gather these into an E‐book!" and that's what's coming this month!

More info next time...

Happy Reversible Knitting!

Moira & Anna
Keywords: Book/Reversible Knitting Stitches,
reversible knitting, reversible stitches, knitting stitches, reversible patterns,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...