20 March 2017

Is it a bird or a plane?

Hamilton Table Runner Scarf by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
I'm back! Sorry that I have been away from my blog for so long. I needed a small operation which kept me away from my computer for a while and completely zapped me of energy. However it all went very well, I am very pleased to report.

Fortunately, it didn't stop me knitting for long and I have been having fun finishing up some projects that just needed a bit more love and attention. The first of these was a scarf made from the Hamilton Table Runner pattern.
Hamilton Table Runner by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
Yes, I hear you – a pattern for a table runner? But when you think about it, there's not much difference between them, is there... They are both long rectangular objects and the size might only need a little bit of adjusting to get it to work well for a scarf instead.

The real difference comes from the yarn being used. For a table runner you want the yarn to be fairly firm and crisp to hold its shape well and provide some insulation to the table. A matte finish is also preferable so the runner is quietly present without dominating the look of the room.

So the ideal yarn would probably be a cotton or a cotton/linen mix such as the KnitPicks CotLin yarn I used for the original pattern.
Cotlin & Galileo, for blogpost by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
Knit Picks yarns. Left: Cotlin in Pomegranate, Right: Galileo in Quartz.
But a scarf? Well almost the opposite! This needs to be soft and flowing so it can drape easily around your neck without chafing. I had a peruse of the KnitPicks site and saw another lovely yarn which I thought would work well.

This is Galileo, which is a beautifully soft yarn with a lovely combination of merino wool and bamboo. The bamboo brings in a wonderful sheen and drape, while the merino gives just the right degree of warmth for a scarf. (And no, I don't get any commission from KnitPicks – I just like their yarn!)
Elongated Diamond Pattern from Reversible Knitting Stitches, Wyndlestraw Designs
I loved reworking the Hamilton table Runner pattern in the Galileo. In fact, I was actually enjoying the pattern so much that I only stopped when I ran out of yarn. Fortunately the finished scarf is not too long! Thank heavens I didn't buy extra yarn or I might have regretted it.

Have you ever done that? Been so enjoying knitting a pattern that you continued on too long? I found I wanted to "just knit one more diamond shape" and was quite disappointed when the yarn supply failed on me. This is the Elongated Diamond Pattern from our new E‐Book, Reversible Knitting Stitches, and is a lovely double‐sided stitch.

If you'd like to see more details about the Hamilton Table Runner pattern, then please click here, and for more details about our Reversible Knitting Stitches book, please click here.

Happy Knitting!

Moira
Keywords: Patterns/Placemats & Table Settings,
table runner, table setting, scarf, scarves, reversible stitch, reversible knitting, reversible table runner, reversible pattern, reversible scarf, yarn, merino wool, bamboo,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...