22 Oct 2015

New pattern - Tromso Rug


When I was a child, our house was unheated and there was a lino floor in my bedroom. I can remember the shock of cold every morning if my feet touched the floor rather than my bedside rug. However, since the rug was where my cat used to sleep I often didn't have much of a choice about this. There really wasn't much square-footage of rug left after she had claimed it as her own! Of course, with the perversity of a cat she would then stretch, wake up and follow me out of the door ever-hopeful for an extra saucer of milk.

http://www.wyndlestrawdesigns.com/store/p44/Rare_Earth_Rug.html
Rare Earth Rug
That memory of cold has always stayed with me and even though we now have the luxury of central heating I still like to have a rug by my bedside. So I suppose it's no surprise that I have a couple of rugs already in my pattern collection, namely the Rare Earth Rug above and the Ocean Currents Rug below.

http://www.wyndlestrawdesigns.com/store/p39/Ocean_Currents_Rug.html
Ocean Currents Rug
However, this time I wanted to make an extra-thick rug, quick to work up and just a nice small size so you could use it in many situations. 

Do you have a place in the house where your feet feel chilly in the winter? Standing by the counter peeling potatoes...? Sitting knitting by the window so you can catch the last of the winter light...? Me, too! Wooden floors can be very cold when the temperatures dip.


So that's where the Tromso Rug comes in. There are three different sizes included in the pattern:
Small: 50 x 75 cm / 20 x 30 ins.
Medium (pictured above): 60 x 90 cm / 24 x 36 ins.
and Large: 70 x 105 cm / 28 x 42 ins.

Another great feature of this rug is that it's reversible. If you have a look at the top photo you'll see the "right side" featured, and the photo I put in last week's blogpost and reprised above shows the "wrong side". You actually don't need to decide which side you're going to use until the very end, and then if you're careful about finishing off the ends invisibly you can always turn it over later on. 

I used Patons Classic Wool bulky yarn for this pattern. It is 100% wool and super-thick so it works up quickly. You'll need just 5 balls for the small size, 6 for the medium and 8 for the largest size, so it won't be long until you have a new rug or two in readiness for the next cold snap.

The pattern is available for instant download from my pattern store.

Happy Knitting!

Moira


Last Blogpost: Norwegian Wood
Next Up: So it begins





. 17/5/17

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...